Saturday 14 May 2011

Anarchy on a ship

With the newest Pirate of the Caribbean coming out, and Doctor Who making a big statement on a Pirate ship, my already obscenely passionate adoration for pirates is seriously sparking up again. Now, my obsession for the pirate look began when I was very, very young, and I have dressed as a pirate on many an occasion, so I think I know my stuff. This isn’t how to dress up as a pirate costume, but for that pirate inspired look.
  • Boots. Whether they’re below the ankle, or just under the knee, black lace-up boots are where you want to go for the Pirate look. I have a pair of Vintage Vivienne Westwoods that have a silver point-toe, and skulls straps, that are big for my pirate scene, as well as a pair of standard black lace-up boots that come right under the knee.
  • If you go with knee high-boots, then go with black leggings underneath. The reason for this is because of the over sized coat I’m going to go into soon.
  • An over-sized, woolen coat in either gray, black or navy blue is the only way to go pirate, with over-sized sleeves and an obscene amount of buttons in mis-matched sizes and colours is always good.
  • For a shirt, think about stripes, but in either red and white, red and black, or blue and white, and keep it tight and long sleeved.
  • If you’re big on having a darker wardrobe, then a simple long-sleeved black shirt will do fine.
  • The reason I think it needs to be long sleeved is kind of hard to explain, but short is good too. JUST NO SINGLETS, PLEASE.
  • This is a very good look for Winter, because you can put on as many layers as you please.
  • A piece of random fabric or a thin scarf tied around the head, with a bow just below the ears is good for hair-styles, but you can go with the hat if you’re very brave, and do not fear in looking like you’re in a costume.
  • Black chipped nail-polish is also quite good, for the rugged ‘I’ve been at sea for too long. ‘CBF painting my nails.’
  • Smoulder in your eyes. Keep it thick and heavy, and do not fear in smudging anything!
  • If the jacket isn’t your thing, I still say keep with the leggings, because you want to look casual, like this is your thing, not like you’re going to a dress up party, so go with a large, white cotton, long sleeved shirt, with a very long neutral vest.
  • Look at Vivienne Westwood, or typical Pirate films for inspiration!

No comments:

Post a Comment